My family has a lovely little late-afternoon ritual that we call ‘Cookie and Tea Time’. It happens somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon and is a wonderful moment to sit, relax and have a break before the craziness of the dinner hour sets in. ‘Cookie and Tea Time’ used to include a cookie or three but those went by the wayside when I gave up gluten and dairy. For the past three years, my ‘cookie’ has been a few squares of organic, fair trade dark chocolate (and my all-time favourite is the Zazubean Lunatic Bar).
My neighbourhood health food store stocks the Lunatic so I always have access to my favourite treat. If I am going away on holiday I stock up on oodles of Lunatic Bars because my nieces, nephews and children know if I am around and have a cup of tea in my hand, dark chocolate is somewhere in the picture. My niece, Evie, just turned two and I think perhaps she is a little confused as to whether my name is ‘Aunt Katie’ or ‘Chocolate’. Regardless, she knows that the minute I show up at her house and the kettle is on, the distinctive green and brown bar will slip like magic from my purse and its contents will delight.
Three weeks ago today I received a myriad of test results from my Naturopath. A kill protocol for high yeast was her among her various treatment recommendations. If you’ve ever done a kill protocol you will know where this is heading…NO sugar! No cane sugar, no honey, no agave, no maple syrup…absolutely no sugar!
No more Lunatic Bars!
Rather than falling into a chocolate deprivation funk, my Radical Act was to find a recipe, adapt it to my needs and make my own chocolate. And so, I have combined a high protein Raw Power Bar recipe with a raw chocolate topping and created a no-sugar, low Glycemic Index treat. And the secret is New Roots Stevia Powder.
So now, Cookie and Tea Time is as relaxing, delicious and as chocolaty as ever!
*** And if you are interested, I have included the Raw Power Bar recipe below***
Raw Power Bars
- 3 cups raw almonds (or Macadamia nuts)
- 3/4 cup ground flax
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup raw smooth almond butter (or Macadamia nut butter)
- 3/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp Stevia powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon Coconut Nectar
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
Raw Chocolate Topping:
- 1 ¼ C coconut oil
- 1 ½ C Raw Cacao
- Stevia powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
- Remove coconut oil from stove, add Coconut Nectar and vanilla
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
- Press mixture into an 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over very low heat, stirring continuously
- Add raw cacao, stevia and vanilla, stir until smooth
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve