I wrote a post a few days ago entitled My Hero. The post was about my son, Zach and his ability to ask for help when he needs it.
What I have had the opportunity to realize over the past few days, with my husband away, is that I am surrounded by heroes. People who are ready to jump in and help because I am still very sick and doing my best to parent three busy boys on my own.
- My son Max for lifting, hauling, reaching things down off high shelves and for being the shoulder I can lean on
- My mom for coming out last night to cook us dinner and get the kids to school this morning so I could go to Toronto and run a workshop this morning…and for making sure I am following up with the doctor on blood tests, chest x-rays and next steps in my health journey…and for always mothering me so tenderly
- My dad for making the boys’ favourite stew and sending it out with mom last night (with lots of leftovers)
- My neighbour John who is enthusiastically carting Zachary back and forth to the hockey arena for his games and practices
- My friend Shelley who is calling with her support, her love, her coaching and her wisdom
- My sister Margie who keeps calling to check in with her unconditional love, her big heart and her broad shoulder
- My friend Cheryl who is on standby for anything I need (groceries, meals, kid care, a hug etc.)
- My husband who keeps calling to check in and stay as close to the boys as he can on the other side of the country
- The moms who are banding together tomorrow to make sure Michael and Zach have a fabulous Halloween
Isn’t it extraordinary to know that there are so many heroes out there just waiting in the wings for a chance to flex their superpowers?